I have no appetite at all when it’s piping hot outside (like it’s been in NYC this Summer.) I have to force myself to eat small portions throughout the day to avoid withering away. Nothing too heavy or I literally feel sick to the stomach. A hearty, vibrant salad sure comes in handy on those days. Like this Shrimp and Green Apple Salad. Spring mix layered with crisp green apples, cranberries, goat cheese and pepitas for a nice crunch. Finished with a drizzle of homemade Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing. I’m salivating just thinking about it.
Adding fruit to a salad just takes it to the next level. The juxtaposition of savory and sweet is absolutely divine. Apple and cranberries are my favorite fruits to add to my salad. Especially a tangy Granny Smith Apple. Yum. You really don’t need to add meat as this crisp green apple salad is still delicious without it. But adding well seasoned, succulent shrimp is like icing on the cake for me. You can add chicken or any protein you like. Or simply leave out the meat altogether and get your protein from the goat cheese and pepitas. Trust me, you won’t miss the meat.
You can also switch out the salad base for baby spinach, baby kale, baby romaine or green leaf. Whatever you want. As long as you don’t leave out the granny smith apples and cranberries you’re good. Because, you know… it won’t be a green apple salad if it’s missing the green apples. Also, I’d highly suggest that you stick with the goat cheese as it’s mild in flavor and pairs nicely with the other ingredients. Any other cheese may be a bit too overpowering. Let’s get to the recipe…
Shrimp and Green Apple Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Wash the shrimp with lemon juice and rinse with water. Pat dry and season with the Slap Ya Mama and Green Seasoning.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a hot cast iron skillet, or non-stick pan. Sear the shrimp a few minutes on each side until pink. Turn off heat.
- Wash the spring mix and drain thoroughly. Use a salad spinner (if you have one) to drain excess water.
- Portion the salad onto large plates or into salad bowls.
- Rinse the granny smith apple in hot water to remove wax coating. Core, and cut into sticks (or desired shape). Pat dry.
- Layer the apple sticks on top of the spring mix.
- Next layer the cranberries, pepitas, then crumbled goat cheese.
- Add the warm shrimp on top of the salad.
- Serve with the Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing on the side.