Fried fish was a go to meal in my house growing up. Particularly Fried Whiting Fish. I looked forward to Fish & Spaghetti on Friday nights. It was one of my favorite meals and still is. Fish was also a top choice for family functions such as barbecues, baby showers and birthday parties. Now that I have my own little family and host events of my own, whiting fish is still a go to. It’s so quick and easy to make, and tastes so good. The secret is in the fish fry, and the best fish fry is made from scratch. I use my Homemade Fish Fry Recipe.
Smoky and spicy pairs so nice together, and I like my whiting fish extra crispy with lots of hot sauce. My fish fried up nice and brown, and crispy just the way I like it. It was delicious!
This Smoky Fried Whiting would pair perfectly with some potato salad and greens. I opted for some hand cut fries this time around though. If you choose to have fries as well, make sure to skip the store bought stuff and make your own. Ain’t nothing like some fresh, hand cut fries. Here’s the whiting recipe.
Smoky Fried Whiting
- Wash the fish with the lemon juice and water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan on medium heat.
- Season the whiting fish with my Homemade Fish Fry. Thoroughly coat both sides.
- Add the fish to the pan to fry 2-3 pieces at a time, depending on your pan size. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side until brown & crispy.
- Drain fish on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite hot sauce.