I used to keep a few boxes of Trader Joe’s Chana Masala in the freezer at all times. That was before I realized how easy it is to make this dish at home, in less than an hour. It’s also so much more flavorful, fragrant and fresh when you make it yourself. The Garam Masala, an Indian spice blend, is what makes this dish taste authentic. You can find it at your local Indian grocer or online.
This Chana Masala recipe is Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly, and Gluten Free. I’d highly suggest making a double batch and freezing half to eat for another meal. It will taste just as good and save you some time. I won’t do too much more talking though. Let’s get to the recipe.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans chickpeas (drained)
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed )
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded & chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, and saute 3-4 minutes until tender, stirring constantly.
- Now add the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, and saute for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, brown sugar and water. Stir thoroughly to mix everything together, and cover the sauce pan. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with the sea salt and black pepper. Then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot over rice. Garnish with cilantro.
SHOP THE RECIPE
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure you check out my Curry Channa Recipe.