I just had to share this BBQ Jackfruit Sliders recipe with you guys before Summer is officially over. It’s been more than twenty years since I had pulled pork. And I honestly don’t remember exactly what it tastes like. But as far as looks and texture are concerned, bbq jackfruit is the perfect vegetarian substitute. It won’t trick a carnivore into thinking that they’re eating meat. But for the non meat eaters- if you’re missing the flavor profile of a pulled pork sandwich, then this one is for you.
As the name implies, jackfruit is a type of fruit. A tropical fruit to be exact. It’s high in nutrients and antioxidants, and has a high amount of protein compared to similar fruit. This makes it popular amongst vegetarians and vegans. Particularly as a shredded meat substitute as the texture is very similar. I’ve never had fresh jackfruit. So I can’t give an opinion on the true taste. But I regularly buy canned jackfruit. The canned version has a slightly sweet, but briny taste as a result of being stored in brine. However, once cooked the fruit absorbs the flavors of the dish. Especially when making BBQ Jackfruit. It sucks the sauce right up.
Now back to these bbq jackfruit sliders. Jackfruit is on the soft side when cooked. So the sandwiches definitely need some additions to up the crunch factor. In comes the coleslaw mix and sweet bread & butter pickles. You can sub with dill pickles if you’d prefer. But do not leave out the coleslaw. And don’t forget to toast the buns. Preferably Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Don’t argue with me. Just do it. Let’s get to the recipe.
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit SlidersCourse: Sandwiches, VegetarianCuisine: American
These BBQ Jackfruit Sliders have the texture and flavor profile of a pulled pork sandwich. Trust me, you won’t miss the meat. Not at all.
1 can of jackfruit, drained & shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/64 tsp sea salt
1/64 tsp black pepper
1/64 tsp garlic powder
1/64 tsp smoked paprika
1/64 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4-1/2 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup coleslaw mix, rinsed & drained
1-2 tbsps mayo
- Wash the cole slaw mix and set aside in a colander to drain
- Drain the jackfruit. Cut off the hard ends and discard. Pull/shred the remaining pieces of fruit.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or non stick pan. Add the jackfruit and season with the sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook until slightly brown and tender.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the pan. Bring to a simmer until the BBQ sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Turn off the heat.
- Slice the hawaiian sweet rolls in half and lightly toast until golden brown.
- Slather the mayo on the top half of the rolls. Generously pile the BBQ Jackfruit on the bottom half.
- Top with the coleslaw mix and a bread & butter pickle chip.
- Serve hot.
- 1/64 tsp= a smidge. In other words- season to taste.